Top 5 Athletics Moments of the 2016 Fall SeasonDecember 15, 2016
The 2016-17 athletic year is off to a great start.
The Saint Ignatius Wildcats reached the state finals twice, won a state championship, and received many accolades along the way.
As the winter season begins with Christmas quickly approaching, relive some of the best moments of the fall sports season at Saint Ignatius.
5. Michael McCaffrey ’18 reaches the State Tournament in golf.
Junior Michael McCaffrey prepares for the state tournament in Columbus. McCaffrey scored an 83, which placed him in the middle of the state qualifiers. Photo Courtesy of Brian Becker ’77.
4. The Wildcats battle into double overtime in the state championship game vs. St. Xavier.
The Road to 12 ended in Columbus, as the Wildcats fell to the St. Xavier Bombers in double overtime, 27-20. The football team ended the season with a 13-2 mark, and left fans with memories of a special season.
3. Stephen Milhoan ’17 sends the Wildcats to the state final with a game-winning goal.
Senior Stephen Milhoan scored the game-winning tally on a penalty kick chance. Milhoan and the soccer squad defeated Medina, 3-2, in overtime to advance to the state final. After the season, Milhoan was named the NSCAA National Player of the Year.
2. Football Cats defeat St. Edward in front of 18,000 fans at FirstEnergy Stadium.
In the 54th meeting between the Wildcats and Eagles, Saint Ignatius football emerged victorious, 34-7. About 18,000 fans filled the seats of FirstEnergy Stadium in a special night for both schools.
1. Soccer Cats win the OHSAA Division I State Championship for the third straight season.